Friday, August 26, 2005

"Just An Artist..."

Well, I'm wrapping up my time in Gum Grove Park. Still no koala sightings yet...

This location has slowly become my favorite spot because of the proximity to the hotel, abundance of free parking, scarcity of tourists, high dog-to-human ratio, and constant eucalyptic aroma. I hope this area isn't going to be crawling with a bunch of new houses next time I come...

Today, a friendly old man walking by and admiring my painting chatted with me about various topics such as how beautiful the central coast of California is and how Gum Grove Park is a nice area to stroll. Everything was cool until after a long pause he asked, "Son, are you a Christian?" I awkwardly answered with possibly the strangest reply ever given to this question in the history of the world...

"Oh, no sir...just an artist."

In the end, he gave me a pamphlet, said a few words about his changed life, and left in the white van that he rode up in. While eating his dust, I on the other hand pondered my unusual but natural response. It just seemed the way he spoke of Christianity that we were talking about professions and not affiliations...

No comments:

Post a Comment